CIT staff and students winners at ACT Training Awards
Published: 14 Sep 2021
The winners of this year's ACT Training Awards were announced on 9 September by Skills Canberra, with the Canberra Institute of Technology (CIT) scooping up many of the categories with four CIT students winning awards.
CIT once again won the ACT Large Training Provider of the Year. CIT was also awarded the ACT Industry Collaboration Award for a Renewable Energy Industry partnership with Neoen and Vestas and staff member Maggie Hall was the recipient of the Norm Fisher Award for her outstanding commitment to Vocational Education and Training (VET).
CIT CEO Leanne Cover said the Awards are highly sought after and recognised in the community: “The ACT Training Awards showcase the commitment, innovation and outstanding achievements of all those involved in the ACT vocational education and training sector.
"Award winning students studied in many areas including education support, cybersecurity, government and electrotechnology. This shows the diversity of pathways and skills available through VET."
The Awards are a prestigious and highly competitive annual recognition of the achievements of VET students and apprentices, their teachers, industry and the training organisations who deliver VET.
"I am immensely proud of the students and staff who have been nominated for awards and recognised as category winners. Your achievements are very significant and shows your commitment to vocational education and building your skills."
The awards recognise the innovation of CIT and its students and staff, providing skills for industry for now and the future.
"It's a team effort but can lead to considerable recognition and rewards and most winners progress to the National Awards," Ms Cover said.
Across 14 categories, the awards recognise and reward the success of individuals and organisations in the ACT. Winners in aligned categories will compete for the national competition at the Australian Training Awards in Perth in November this year.
This year's awards ceremony has been cancelled due to COVID 19 but that does not stop recognising the achievements of all those nominees and finalists for the Awards.
Congratulations to the award winners:
- Maggie Hall, Senior Advisor Vocational Education and Training, CIT Solutions: Norm Fisher Award
- Philip Khalu-Reindl, Diploma of Government and IAP Apprentice: ACT Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Student of the Year
- Morgan Sutton, Cert III in Electrotechnology: ACT Apprentice of the Year
- Sophie New, Cert IV in Education Support and Trainee LSA, Monash School: ACT Trainee of the Year
- Banda Ramadan, Cert IV in Cybersecurity: ACT Vocational Student of the Year
- ACT Industry Collaboration - CIT Renewable Energy Industry Collaboration
- ACT Large Training Provider of the Year - Canberra Institute of Technology