Be a part of a growing healthcare industry and provide essential services for your community. Gaining a strong knowledge of anatomy and physiology, disease and health; you will work directly with patients and health service clients to provide care and treatments, empowering people with the knowledge to make healthier life choices.
A qualification at CIT will put you on track for a rewarding career as an enrolled nurse (EN/Division 2).
With a simulated hospital environment on campus and industry placements, you will graduate with the knowledge and experience to work across a range of settings, playing an invaluable role in any health care team.
Information for applicants applying for Semester 1, May 2017
Updated 25 November 2016
Diploma of Nursing Information
Applications for February 2017 are closed and classes are now full.
There will be a full time intake only for May 2017
Applications for May 2017 open: Friday 2 December 2016
- Date: Tuesday 31 January 2017
- Time: 5pm
- Place: Room A22 Lecture Theatre, A Block, CIT Bruce, 35 Vowels Crescent Bruce
- Apply online
- Sit the online literacy and numeracy assessment - a link will be emailed through to you after you apply with instructions on how to complete this
- Come to a pre-entry meeting where you will need to provide your successful literacy and numeracy assessment results - invitations to pre-entry meetings are sent in order of application
- At the pre-entry meeting you will receive information on the Diploma of Nursing and you will complete a written task and group activity
- Your pre-entry requirements will be considered prior to place offers being made
- Enrol into the Diploma of Nursing
Additional Information Regarding the entry requirements:
Evidence of the required level of Literacy and Numeracy
This can be demonstrated by providing evidence of:
- evidence of completing Year 12 English and Maths (within the last 10 years at an accredited or tertiary level), with at least a 'C' grade average OR
- successful completion of the CIT Literacy and Numeracy assessment (ACSF Level 3 - 4).
An ACSF level 3-4 is required in the literacy and numeracy assessment.
Applicants with unsuccessful assessment results will be advised of recommended support classes available.
If you have already successfully completed the Nursing numeracy and literacy assessment at CIT you are not required to repeat the assessment.
Literacy and numeracy support classes
Please contact Jeremy on (02) 6207 4872 to discuss literacy and numeracy support classes.
Numeracy and literacy support classes have fees attached.
Clinical Placement Requirements - these are required to complete your enrolment
Applicants are required to provide certified copies of the below when called to the pre-entry meeting.
- Current First Aid Certificate
- Police Check from the Australian Federal Police - must be a “Code 13” Disabled Care provider/worker or Hospital Employment www.afp.gov.au
- Letter of fitness to work as a nurse from your General Practitioner
- Immunisation records, including evidence of immunity to or proof of vaccination for: measles, mumps, rubella, varicella (chicken pox), hepatitis B with titre, diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis.
- Tuberculosis (TB) screening from the Department of Thoracic Medicine, Level 2 of Building 1 at The Canberra Hospital, Yamba Drive, Garran ACT
- Working with Vulnerable People Check
- Please note that a positive police check may prevent Industry Placement and therefore affect your progress in the course. Please discuss this with the Diploma of Nursing Coordinator.
Immunisation information should be compiled in a NSW Health Student Vaccination Card
Registration Standards for Enrolled Nurses: English language skills
From 1 July 2015, the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia requires all applicants for initial registration to demonstrate English language skills to be suitable for registration.
All applicants are strongly encouraged to access and read the information about the new registrations requirements at www.ahpra.gov.au.
AA | ASBA - these courses are available as apprenticeships, traineeships or Australian School-Based Apprenticeships (ASBAs). See above for availability, or contact CIT Student Services on (02) 6207 3188 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Delivery - FT = Full-time, PT = Part-time, ON = Online, FL = Flexible.