Staff Studying at CIT Policy
To ensure that staff studying at CIT or considering studying at CIT are aware of their rights and responsibilities.
This policy applies to all CIT staff undertaking study in any CIT program.
3.1 CIT staff may access programs of study, including profile-funded places, in the same way as other students.
3.2 Teachers may use their Teacher Professional Development funds to pay the student fee when the course is identified in the Setting My Directions process.
3.3 General staff may seek payment of the student fee through College/Division funds when the course is identified in the Setting My Directions process.
3.4 Profile-funded training places at CIT can be accessed for staff professional development either for direct enrolment or via Skills Recognition if the training is agreed to during the Setting My Directions process and one of the following conditions applies:
- The individual is a CIT teacher enrolled in an approved teacher education qualification as described in the current Enterprise Agreement.
- The individual enrols in a program which is required for the execution of existing duties and their role could not be completed effectively without it. The manager may approve payment of the student fee from CIT funds;
- The individual enrols in a program to prepare for a move into another area at CIT and/or to increase their promotional opportunities. The manager may approve payment of the student fee from CIT funds.
- The individual enrols in an approved professional development opportunity targeted at CIT staff. The College Director must approve the program and may elect to waive the student fee.
- The individual is seeking formal recognition for a qualification or a unit of competency in which they teach as a requirement of the ASQA Standards. The College Director may approve payment of the student fee from college funds.
3.5 Agreement and approval for appropriate leave arrangements must be applied for prior to commencing the course of study when the classes are during working hours.
3.6 Where CIT teachers apply for Skills Recognition in a unit of competency related to their training and assessment duties, the following will apply:
- The CIT Skills Recognition Leader, CIT Education Services, or a teaching staff member appointed by the Director, Education Services, will be involved in the implementation of the Skills Recognition assessment process.
- Where an application for recognition of prior learning is greater than 50 % of the program the assessment evidence must be reviewed by an independent industry representative who isn’t currently employed at CIT. The representative will be asked to confirm that the evidence meets industry expectations.
- The program owner (may be College Director or may be Division Executive) will sign off the recognition decision
- All evidence submitted by the applicant and collected during the assessment process will be filed by CIT Student Services.
3.7 CIT teachers may not enrol to study and be formally assessed in a subject in the same Banner term that they are teaching, assessing or coordinating that subject. A teacher may however, undergo a recognition assessment at any time.
3.8 Where CIT staff are to access non-standard attendance and/or assessment this must be fully documented and approved by the appropriate College Director offering the program, prior to commencement of study in the subject to which this will apply.
3.9 Where CIT staff are studying in programs in the College in which they are employed, the Director must
- participate in related PRI
- ensure that Skills Recognition results are underpinned by transparent decision making processes which exclude the possibility of conflicts of interest.
3.10 CIT College Directors, Heads of Department and other education managers cannot be assessed (either in class or through recognition) by teaching staff within their own College.
- ACT Public Service Canberra Institute of Technology (Teaching Staff) Enterprise Agreement 2019-2021
- ACT Public Service Canberra Institute of Technology Enterprise Agreement 2019-2021
- ACT Government Study Assistance Guidelines
- Responsibilities in the Learning Environment - Student Information Guide
CIT policies available on the website
All terminology used in this policy is consistent with definitions in the CIT Policy Glossary.
6. Policy Contact Officer
For more information about this policy contact Director, Education Services.
Contact CIT Student Services on (02) 6207 3188 or email email@example.com.
This policy is implemented through the associated procedures. Authority to make changes to the procedures rests with the policy owner.
Policy No: 2016/584
Approved: February 2020
Next Review: February 2024
Category: Staff Policies
Policy Owner: Executive Director, Education and Training Services
| Staff Studying at CIT Procedures|
(MS Word Document 56.0 KB)
Client Service Charter
Student Code of Conduct
|POLICIES LAST UPDATED|
2020-05-27: Assessment Policy
2020-03-10: Home Garaging of CIT Vehicle Policy
2020-02-28: Procurement Policy
2020-02-24: Higher Education Scholarly Activity Policy
2020-02-24: Intellectual Property Policy