Staff Studying at CIT Policy
To ensure that staff studying at CIT or considering studying at CIT are aware of their rights and responsibilities.
This policy applies to all CIT staff undertaking study in any CIT course.
3.1 A CIT staff member can access courses of study in the same way as other students. This includes profile funded places.
3.2 If a CIT staff member enrols into a unit of competency or qualification delivered by their own Department or College they must not have access to the relevant assessment tools, teacher guides and marking rubrics or be involved in the moderation process for the duration of their enrolment.
3.3 When a CIT staff member intends to enrol in a unit of competency or qualification within their own Department or College, the Head of Department (HoD) must notify the College Director and the HoD Education Quality regarding the staff member’s intended enrolment. The notification needs to describe the proposed processes that will be implemented to manage the staff member’s participation in the unit of competency or qualification.
3.4 A CIT staff member cannot enrol into a course in which they are training and/or assessing any subject in that course.
3.5 When a CIT staff member applies for Skills Recognition in a unit of competency or qualification within their Department or College, the following will apply:
- The CIT Skills Recognition Leader, or Education Advisor from Education Quality, will support and endorse
inthe design and implementation of the Skills Recognition assessment process and tools. This is to ensure the assessment process is in accordance with the principles of assessment and rules of evidence.
- Where an application for recognition of prior learning is greater than 50% of the course the assessment evidence must be reviewed by an independent industry representative who is not currently employed at CIT. The representative will assess whether the evidence verifies that the CIT staff member's level of competence satisfies industry standards and expectations. The Industry representative will be endorsed by the relevant HoD prior to this process.
- All evidence submitted for these applications will be filed by CIT Student Services.
3.6 A HoD or manager may approve participation by a CIT staff member in a CIT course during the Setting My Directions process, when at least one of the following conditions applies:
- The staff member is a CIT teacher enrolled in an approved teacher education qualification as described in the current Enterprise Agreement.
- The CIT staff member enrols in a course which is required for the execution of existing duties and their role could not be completed effectively without it. The HoD/manager may approve payment of the student fee from CIT funds or Teacher Professional Development (PD) funds.
- The CIT staff member enrols in a unit of competency or qualification to prepare for a move into another area at CIT and/or to increase their promotional opportunities. The HoD/manager may approve payment of the student fee from CIT funds or Teacher PD funds.
- The CIT staff member enrols in an approved professional development opportunity targeted at CIT staff. The College Director must approve enrolment in the unit of competency or qualification and may elect to waive the student fee.
- The CIT staff member is seeking Skills Recognition via RPL for a unit of competency or qualification
orin which they teach. The College Director may approve payment of the student fee from college funds or Teacher PD funds.
3.7 The HoD/manager will ensure that appropriate arrangements are in place, prior to a CIT staff member commencing a course of study that requires class attendance during the staff member’s normal hours of work.
3.8 A CIT staff member shall not assess students with whom they have a close personal relationship. If the staff member is the only person able to make an assessment judgement for that unit of competency or qualification, then the relationship needs to be declared and the assessment judgement moderated by the HoD.
3.9 A CIT staff member cannot assess a CIT College Director, HoD or other manager within their own College. In this case the College Director, HoD or manager shall undertake a course of study with an external provider.
- Canberra Institute of Technology Teaching Staff Enterprise Agreement 2021-2022
- ACT Public Service Canberra Institute of Technology Enterprise Agreement 2021-2022
- Study Assist Information
- Responsibilities in the Learning Environment - Student Information Guide
CIT policies available on the website
All terminology used in this policy is consistent with definitions in the CIT Definitions of Terms.
6. Policy Contact Officer
For more information about this policy contact Director, Education Services.
Contact CIT Student Services on (02) 6207 3188 or email email@example.com.
This policy is implemented through the associated procedures. Authority to make changes to the procedures rests with the policy owner.
Policy No: 2016/584
Approved: November 2022
Next Review: February 2024
Category: Staff Policies
Policy Owner: Executive Director, Education and Training Services
| CIT Staff RPL Flowchart|
(PDF File 150.4 KB)
CIT Definition of Terms
Client Service Charter
Student Code of Conduct
|POLICIES LAST UPDATED|
2023-10-31: Internal Audit Policy
2023-10-11: Debt Management Policy
2023-10-01: Policy Development Policy
2023-04-01: Asset Management Policy
2023-03-08: Admission and Enrolment Policy