Skills Recognition via Recognition of Prior Learning - RPL
- Skills Recognition at CIT is Credit Transfer (CT) or Recognition of Prior learning (RPL). For more information on applying for Credit Transfer, visit the Credit Transfer page.
Which of my skills and experiences are relevant?
You may have developed skills and knowledge that will count towards a qualification if you:
- have undertaken previous study in the same or similar field (that is not eligible for Credit Transfer)
- are currently working in the industry or similar
- have worked in the past as above
- are raising a family
- are participating in social, recreational, or educational activities
- are involved in a hobby or are volunteering in your community.
What is the RPL process for having my skills recognised?
- Contact CIT Student Services on (02) 6207 3188 or email@example.com and identify the course and/or units of competency for which you'd like to receive RPL.
- You will then have a conversation with an assessor from the relevant course area to discuss your request.
- Submit an application form.
- Showcase your skills and share your experience through evidence (documents that demonstrate previously completed work or projects, reports from your supervisor, portfolios of work, or evidence of previous study).
- You may be required to participate in a practical skills assessment, either in the workplace or at CIT.
- Your evidence will be assessed against all units of competency/subject requirements.
- Your results will be processed, and documentation of formal recognition will be provided.
What does RPL cost?
If you are looking to have your work or life experience recognised, you will be charged at the normal rate for each unit of competency/subject you apply for. These rates vary for each course and unit of competence. You will find the cost of each unit of competence listed one the specific course pages.
What do I do next?
- Identify the course and/or units of competency for which you’d like to receive RPL.
- Apply for RPL by:
- When you have identified the units of competency that you’d like to apply for, complete the below Skills Recognition RPL form.
- Email your completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit any CIT Student Service location to submit your application.
- You will need to pay your fees by the due date (payment plans are not available for Skills Recognition, however concessions may apply).
- Provide and showcase your evidence when requested by a CIT assessor.