Skip to Content
Need Help Live Chat

Frequently Asked Questions

What support is available?

Courses provide regular session times in the CIT Bruce Library, CIT Reid Library, CIT Gungahlin or CIT Tuggeranong where help is available from a teacher. CIT's eLearn system is also used extensively to provide learning resources and support online. Library/Administrative staff will support you with the use of computers, the internet and eLearn; they also take bookings and provide other assistance with flexible learning.

All CIT students have access to a wide range of student support services.

Please note: Students with disabilities requiring support need to contact an Education Advisor, Disability before enrolment. Phone 6207 3290.

How long do I have to complete a subject?

You are allowed a set number of weeks, depending on the subject, from the date you process your enrolment and receive your invoice to complete enrolled subject/s.  If you do not complete your subject within the weeks allocated, you will need to re-enrol to complete the subject.

Can I get my existing skills recognised?

Through CIT's Skills Recognition process you can have your existing skills and knowledge recognised to count towards your course. For more information, telephone 6207 3188 or visit  Skills Recognition for Students.

How do I get help, hand in work or do an assessment?

This depends on the course and subject - refer to the Subject outline. For self-paced courses that have core session times you should book for a session time - this is when a subject teacher is available.

Top of page

Do I need to book for a session time?

And yes, it is advisable to book ahead for a session as places are limited. Bookings can be completed in person or by contacting the Campus you are intending to attend.

Attending a couple of sessions when you first enrol is highly recommended. Sessions provide an opportunity for focussed study and for you to get to know the teacher.  You may choose to come for only part of a session time.

How are the subjects assessed?

Outlines are available for all subjects. These explain the topics covered and how the subject will be assessed. Assessment can include assessment of ongoing work, assignments/projects and tests which frequently need to be completed in the Library. It is important to clearly understand what you must do to be assessed right from the start of your studies and also to obtain feedback from your teachers as you work through your subjects. You should hand in your assessable work progressively.

Is teacher assistance available during CIT term and semester breaks?

During CIT term breaks, the schedule for core sessions is often changed slightly due to decreased demand for teacher assistance during these times. Current schedules are always available at each campus and online.

Top of page

Can I use computers after hours?

After-hours access is available at CIT Reid and CIT Gungahlin. To use these facilities, you will need to have your CIT student card validated. Complete the application form relevant to your choice of campus. Forms are located under Student Forms.

How much does it cost?

Fees for each subject are charged at the standard subject cost. Textbooks will be an additional charge (if applicable).

Is there any financial assistance to pay the fees?

Yes, visit the Course Fees and Assistance page to see all the options available to students.

Do I get any concession?

Concessions apply to eligible Centrelink recipients in most circumstances. To receive a concession you must provide proof of concession to CIT Student Services prior to the fee due date. View the concession information here.

Top of page