Canberra small businesses boosted by innovation workshops
Published: 22 Dec 2021
Canberra Institute of Technology (CIT), in collaboration with EPICORP and the Canberra Innovation Network (CBRIN), created a competition and series of workshops to support Canberra small businesses grow and adjust to the impact of the COVID-19 lockdown. Six Canberra businesses were recognised as prize winners and will receive $5,000 as well as mentoring or a CIT online course.
The online workshops, facilitated by CBRIN, helped guide the progression of a business idea or concept. The workshops also helped the small businesses adjust to the various impacts of the pandemic including how to test new ideas to meet new expectations and customer needs.
The following businesses have been awarded the prizes to grow or improve their business ideas and concepts:
- Bridge Creations - graphic design services for health and wellbeing
- Fungi Co. - mushroom leather to create sustainable fridge panels
- Mountain Boats - sustainable wooden boat manufacturer
- OMG Decadent Donuts - doughnut making business
- The Easy Read Toolbox - online communication toolbox to assist people with cognitive disabilities, and culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, with complex documents
- Unique Children's Books - personalised children’s books.
A winner representing OMG Decadent Donuts said: “The competition has helped me learn a lot about marketing our business [and] putting together an appropriate pitch, and I really enjoyed participating in the training and learning from others.”
Bridge Creations, who has set up a graphic design service focused on health and wellbeing, said: “The workshops provided various tips to assist with the field of start-ups and entrepreneurship. All companies and small businesses are encountering different results/impacts with COVID-19 and the competition was a beneficial opportunity to grow or aid a business. It was also great to meet various entrepreneurs who were new or seasoned, as well as encouraging both start-up businesses and businesses yet to launch.”
The opportunity for workshops will be open again to Canberra regional small businesses in 2022. More information will be available on the CIT website - stay tuned for details.