Horticulture and Floristry
The Open Gardens Canberra Scholarship provides an exciting opportunity for a CIT student in any horticulture stream to receive financial assistance with their studies and work with Canberra gardeners to open their gardens to the public. Eligible students should be in their first year of a CIT qualification in horticulture or landscaping, within the CIT Department of Horticulture and Floristry.
The Open Gardens Canberra Scholarship provides $2,000 over two years towards CIT tuition fees, textbooks, and equipment. The scholarship recipient will also be encouraged to assist Canberra gardeners through the Open Gardens Canberra scheme.
Applications for the scholarship open at the beginning of Term 3 2022. First-year horticultural students in 2022 not apprenticed are encouraged to apply. The scholarship will contribute towards fees in the second and third years of their course.
Applicants need to respond to sections 1-5 of the application criteria. The answer to each section should be no more than half a page in length (approximately 160 words) and can incorporate photos and illustrations. Applications can be delivered by email or post.
Applications will be judged on:
- evidence of academic commitment and achievements in the first semester of the course
- evidence a student's skills could be used to promote good gardening practices in the Canberra region
- a demonstrated commitment to horticultural study and the application of skills developed
- aptitude for personal development related to horticulture.
- Applications open beginning of Term 3.
- Applications close week 1 of Term 4.
- Successful applicant announced at the end of Semester 2.
- First scholarship payment will be paid at the end of 2022 based on the successful completion of unit of competencies (UOC's).
- Second scholarship payment will be paid at the end of 2023 based on the successful completion of UOC's.
Application can be sent to:
Head of Department
Department of Horticulture & Floristry
CIT Design and Technology
GPO 826, Canberra, 2601
By email: Julie.Collins@cit.edu.au
For more information about Open Gardens Canberra visit opengardenscanberra.org.au
Value: $2,000 over two years towards CIT tuition fees, textbooks, and equipment.
Number Available: 1
Eligibility Criteria: Application Criteria
- Why are you studying horticulture at CIT?
- How would assisting Canberra gardeners to open their gardens enhance your studies and potential career in horticulture?
- What do you consider to be the biggest challenges facing home gardeners in the Canberra region?
- Give an example of a horticultural task you have undertaken that you feel was effective?
- your CV and academic history
- supporting statement from one CIT teacher
- other supporting documents of your choice.
Further Information: https://opengardenscanberra.org.au
Application closing date: Saturday 01 October 2022