What is Skills Recognition?
Skills Recognition is an acknowledgement of the skills you have learned from your work, from life experience, or from any previous training.
Undertaking Skills Recognition means you can gain either a part or full qualification without having to re-learn things you already know.
Skills Recognition for individuals and current students
Which of my skills and experiences are relevant?
If you have:
- undertaken previous study;
- are currently working;
- have worked in the past;
- are raising a family;
- are participating in social, recreational or educational activities;
- are involved in a hobby or are volunteering in your community;
then you may have developed skills and knowledge that will count towards a qualification.
What are the benefits of Skills Recognition?
Skills Recognition means you don’t have to study things you already know. It makes study more enticing, more enjoyable, more relevant and less time consuming. It also allows you to reach your goal more quickly - whether it is to increase your job prospects, gain a promotion, change your career or advance to a higher qualification.
What is the process for having my skills recognised?
Contact CIT on 02 6207 3188 to indentify your Skills Recognition options
- Submit an application form
- Share your experience through a conversation with a subject specialist
- Showcase your skills through evidence such as a report from your supervisor, documents you have produced in the workplace or documentation of your previous study
- Your results will be processed and documentation of formal recognition is provided.
What does Skills Recognition cost?
If you have studied at another Registered Training Organisation within the last five years (whether you completed your qualification or not) you may not be charged a fee.
If you are looking to have your work or life experience recognised you will be charged at the normal rate for each subject you apply for. These rates vary depending on which qualification you will be studying.
What do I do next?
Phone CIT on 02 6207 3188 to discuss your Skills Recognition options. You can also attend the information session of the course you would like Skills Recognition for. For session times, call CIT Student Services on (02) 6207 3188.
When you are ready to apply, visit CIT Student Services on any campus to fill out an application form.
- Download Skills Recognition The Facts: How To Apply brochure (2Mb)
- Skills Recognition Expression of Interest Form
- Skills Recognition Standard Form (1.3Mb)