Industry Placement Policy
To outline the way in which CIT students undertake an industry placement with a host industry organisation.
This policy covers:
- CIT students undertaking an Industry Placement as required in the approved CIT study program
- Host organisations
- CIT staff as industry placement coordinators and workplace assessors.
3.1 All industry placements must be part of an approved CIT program.
3.2 Students must participate in an industry placement at a time negotiated between the student, the host organisation and the CIT industry placement coordinator.
3.3 All parties have a duty of care to students with respect to a safe working environment for students on industry placement.
3.4 Only CIT teaching staff will assess the students.
3.5 Workplace supervisors may be required to provide third party evidence of achievement by the student.
3.6 CIT staff will confirm suitability of host organisations to provide a suitable environment, sufficient learning opportunities, supervision and support for CIT students.
3.7 CIT insurance arrangements do not cover students receiving remuneration. These students are covered by their employer’s insurance arrangements.
3.8 CIT insurance arrangements will only cover students undertaking industry placement within Australia.
3.9 The Chief Executive Officer must approve overseas Industry Placements.
3.10 Arrangements between CIT and the host organisation must be in writing.
3.11 Students must successfully complete the relevant workplace health and safety components, including dress and equipment requirements, of their program prior to placement.
3.12 CIT must be notified immediately of any accidents or incidents that occur during the placement.
3.13 As required by industry, students may be required to grant permission for police checks prior to placement or provide evidence of medical suitability (such as vaccinations, etc).
3.14 A confidentiality clause or similar undertaking may be required by the host organisation.
While undertaking industry placements with other organisations CIT students are covered by insurance for the following:
- Public Liability and Property covers injury to persons or damage to property for which CIT may be found legally liable for the students actions to the extent that this is not covered by the organisation's own insurance arrangements.
- Personal Accident covers injury or disablement of the student arising out of the work placement and provides for reasonable medical expenses and/or compensation.
- These CIT insurance arrangements are valid provided the student receives no remuneration from the host organisation for work undertaken during the placement.
- In the event of payment to the student by the host organisation the student becomes an employee of the host organisation and workers compensation provisions of that organisation would apply.
Industry Placement Coordinators |
and Supervising Staff - Teaching College
- Canberra Institute of Technology Act 1987
- Work Health and Safety Act 2011 (ACT)
- Educational Policies
- Industry Placement - Host Organisation Guide (internal access only)
- Industry Placement - Student Guide (internal access only)
All terminology used in this policy is consistent with definitions in the CIT Definitions of Terms.
6. Policy Contact Officer
For more information about this policy contact the Director, Education Services.
Contact CIT Student Services on (02) 6207 3188 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This policy is implemented through the associated procedures.
Policy No: 2016/589
Approved: September 2019
Next Review: October 2023
Category: Training Policies
Policy Owner: Executive Director, Education and Training Services
| Industry Placement Procedure|
(PDF File 407.6 KB)
CIT Definition of Terms
Client Service Charter
Student Code of Conduct
|POLICIES LAST UPDATED|
2022-06-01: Corporate Credit Card Policy
2022-12-08: Revenue and Receipting Policy
2022-12-02: Admission and Enrolment Policy
2022-11-29: Higher Education - Unsatisfactory Academic Progress Policy
2022-11-29: Higher Education - Academic Integrity Policy