Using CIT Library
- How do I join the Library?
- What are the opening hours of the Libraries? Are they different during the breaks?
- How many items can I borrow and for how long?
- How do I return my books when the Library is closed?
- How do I request an item that is currently on loan, or at another Campus?
- I am a teacher. How do I put items on Short Loan?
- What help and resources are available online?
- What will happen if I return items late?
- I need word processing and Internet access to complete assignments - can the Library help?
- Why do I have to register as an Information Portal User on the Library Catalogue?
- How do I renew my loans?
How do I join the Library?
CIT Students automatically become Library members when they collect their CITCard. CIT Staff need to present their current CITCard at the Loans Desk.
What are the opening hours of the Library? Are they different during the breaks?
Opening Hours vary between libraries, and are reduced during breaks. Please view the Library Opening Hours for more information.
How many items can I borrow and for how long?
For general enquiries or to borrow items go to the Loans Desk. Staff can assist you with reserving and renewing items, or with booking to view videos or to use a seminar room.
You may borrow up to 10 items for 2 weeks from the main collection. Short Loans and a variety of CDROMS are held here which may also be borrowed.
How do I return my books when the Library is closed?
Items to be returned should be placed in the Returns chute located near the Loans Desk. You may return items at any CIT Library.
When the library is closed, returned items can be placed in the after hours returns chute near the entrance.
If your campus is closed, return items to the Reid Library which offers 24 hour 7 days a week returns.
How do I request an item that is currently on loan, or at another Campus?
Follow these steps to place your request via the Library Catalogue for items on loan or at any campus Library:
1. Identify the item in the CIT Library Catalogue then click on the 'Request Item' icon
2. Enter your CIT number exactly as it is written on your CITCard
3. Enter your password (your date of birth written as ddmmyy)
4. Choose your pickup location e.g. Reid, then click "Place request"
5. Make sure that you see a message "request successfully placed"
6. Check "My Account" on the Library Catalogue to see when the item is ready for pickup.
7. The requested item will remain on 'hold' on the pickup shelf for 1 week.
Video bookings for a specific date still need to be made with assistance from Library staff. You may also need assistance when making a request for a particular issue of a journal.
I am a teacher. How do I put items on Short Loan?
Contact the Loans Desk Staff at your Campus Library.
What help and resources are available online?
- Specific research assistance from Ask a Librarian
- Need help with referencing or preparing a bibliography - http://libguides.cit.edu.au/referencing
- Library catalogue and Online resources (these can also be accessed by logging in to eLearn)
What will happen if I return items late?
The Library issues two overdue notices, and if there is no response, no further borrowing can be done. A Hold is placed on a student's Banner record which prevents the student from accessing grades and results until the items are returned or replaced. Click here for further details.
I need word processing and Internet access to complete assignments - can the Library help?
Computing and printing facilities are available at Bruce, Fyshwick, Reid, Woden, CIT Gungahlin and CIT Tuggeranong during opening hours. These facilities provide access to the Internet, Microsoft Office word processing packages and CIT Online Campus in eLearn.
Reid Library provides 24 hour access to computing and printing, on application.
Woden Library provides after hour access (Mon - Fri 8:00am - 9:30pm)
For information about how to access the internet and wifi on campus go to: http://cit.edu.au/wifi
Why do I have to register as an Information Portal User on the Library Catalogue?
Registered users are able to access 'My account' to: make requests, view their loans & previously borrowed items, renew items, save and email results of catalogue searches online.
How do I renew my loans?
From the Library Catalogue, click the "My Account" tab. If you have not previously done so, you will need to register on the catalogue. Otherwise, type in your Username and Password and click Login.
View your checked out items in "Items Out". Click on the check box beside the items you wish to renew, then click the "Renew Selected" icon.