Graphic Design Short Courses
CIT art and design courses have a reputation for producing some of the finest commercial creatives in the country. Study in our large, exceptionally well equipped studios, multipurpose cycloramas, Mac computer labs, experience our digital darkroom and labs, and utilise our dedicated student media and print resources.
If you have always dreamt of dabbling in the creative industries, our creative short course opportunities are the perfect way to get a taste of an exciting new career, enhance your existing professional career or skills, or even just try a new hobby.
Semester 2 2017 graphic design short courses:
Graphic Design Professional Practice (Preparatory Skill Set)
This course provides fundamental training on exploration of the creative process, generating design solutions, understanding the use and role of typography in graphic design and how to research and apply graphic design techniques when designing for 2D outputs such as publications. This program provides the fundamental skills and knowledge for those preparing for a career in graphic design and wanting to study a diploma.
You should do this course if:
- you are intending to pursue a career in graphic design but have had little or no design experience or formal design training
- you have attended a graphic design interview and this course has been recommended to you
- you wish to gain some design skills, but are not wanting the full professional graphic design qualification.
Duration: Online course which can be completed in 12 weeks. Two to three optional evening support sessions will be offered in CIT's graphic design professional Mac labs at CIT Reid.
Illustration and Design for Comics, Graphic Novels and Street Art
Are you looking to sharpen your illustration skills, design graphic novels or learn street art techniques? In this short course you will develop practical skills in graphic styles of drawing suited to book illustration, comics, and street art.
- Figures and proportions
- Locations and backgrounds
- Combining imagination with observation
- Designing detailed characters
- Placing characters/figures into a dramatic structure
Creating a mini comic, zine, web comic or series of drawings for publication.
You will enrol into the following two units of competency from the Certificate III in Design Fundamentals (CUA30715):
- Explore and apply the creative design process to 2D forms (BSBDES302)
- Produce drawings to communicate ideas (CUAACD301)