Jodie Cunningham - Art
I am a professional practicing artist and have exhibited widely in solo and group exhibitions in Australia and the USA. I am trained as a painter and have also worked with drawing, digital imaging, sculpture and design, and my work has primarily dealt with the themes of abstraction, ornamentation, colour, place, emotion and memory.
In addition, I have experience in numerous corporate arts fields, including as Assistant Director, Indigenous Visual Arts with the Department of Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts; a range of managerial and public program coordination roles within both the National Gallery of Australia and the National Museum of Australia; as a teacher with the Canberra School of Art, and even as a visitor assistant with the Guggenheim Museum in New York.
- Certificate III in Design Fundamentals;
- Diploma and Certificate IV in Visual Arts;
- Advanced Diploma of Creative Product Development
- Certificate IV in Training and Assessment, Canberra Institute of Technology, ACT;
- Certificate II in Millinery, Canberra Institute of Technology, ACT;
- Master of Fine Arts, by research, College of Fine Arts, University of New South Wales, Sydney;
- Master of Fine Arts, Hunter College of the City University of New York, NY, USA (one year only);
- Bachelor of Arts, Visual, Honours - First Class and University Medal, Australian National University.
Some recent and upcoming exhibitions include:
- April 2012, Colander: Jodie Cunningham & Naomi Zouwer, Foyer Gallery ANU School of Art Gallery;
- November 2012, House of Breath, Jodie Cunningham & Paul Murray, Canberra Museum and Gallery;
- October 2011, Fifthdraw, Designspace, Ground Floor Building, Canberra Institute of Technology Reid Campus;
- 28 October - 13 November, 2011, Practice what you teach, Belconnen Art Centre
- 15 April - 8 May, 2011, Serendipity - Experimentation, Play and Accidental Discovery by CIT's Centre for Creative Industries, Belconnen Arts Centre;
- 13-22 October, 2010, Draw Fourth, Designspace, Ground Floor Building, Canberra Institute of Technology Reid Campus;
- 6-30 October, 2010, This way up, ANU School of Art Gallery and ANCA Gallery;
- 12 August - 25 September 2010, Call of the Small, Craft ACT Crucible Showcase, First Floor, North Building ,180 London Circuit Canberra;
- 1-5 June 2010, Succulent, Foyer Gallery, School of Art, ANU, ACT (major solo exhibition);
- 24 June - 11 July 2010, Mount Eyre Vineyards Art Prize 2010, Rex Livingston Art Dealer, Sydney;
- 22 May - 13 June 2010, Lethbridge 10000 Small Scale Art Award, Lethbridge Gallery, Brisbane Qld.
Some of the above exhibitions have been collaborative CIT student and staff exhibitions, with a particular focus on education and learning outcomes for students. This gives students exposure to a realistic exhibiting environment and better prepares them for an artistic career.
Professional and peak body memberships
- National Association of Visual Artists (NAVA);
- Visual Arts Network of Educators (VANE);
- Canberra Contemporary Art Space (CCAS);
- Megalo Print Studio and Gallery;
- Museum of Contemporary Art;
- National Gallery of Australia.
- 2003 National Museum of Australia Traveling Scholarship;
- 2000 Fulbright Scholarship, Visual and Performing Arts Category;
- 2000 Rotary Ambassadorial Scholarship to fund study in New York;
- 1998 Australian Post Graduate Award;
- 1996 University Medal, Australian National University;
- 1996 Vocational Educational Training Authority (VETA) Acquisition Award;
- 1994 Telecom Australia Traveling Scholarship.
LinkedIn: Jodie Cunningham.